You only get one chance at creating the best first impression in online dating. Research suggests that 90% of first impressions last forever, moreover, you only have 7 seconds to cement that positive impression. Never are these stats more vital than in this virtual world of online matchmaking…where you rely purely on your image on a screen to guarantee you a place in the ‘Yes’ pile. 55% of first impressions are based on what you look like and 38% on your confidence. If you’re struggling to know what to wear for your profile pictures, wondering how to stand out from the crowd to create a spark, unsure how to dress or pose confidently or undecided on your ‘wow’ colours and most flattering styles, then my top tips will help you solve all those online dating problems and increase your chance of finding a perfect match. My guide on how to dress for online dating:
My top 7 steps to maximise the first ‘7 second’ impressions:
- Be memorable.
- Be relevant.
- Be approachable.
- Be easy on the eye.
- Keep it Simple.
- Emanate Confidence in your photos.
- Perfect your posture.
- Be memorable. Choose colours and styles that stand out from the crowd and always use flattering lighting for your photography. Discover your personal wow colours with a colour consultation and flattering styles and shapes with a body-shape consultation. Your clothes should ideally be neat, ironed (or non-crease) and clean.
- Be relevant. Dress in appropriate outfits that reflect your personality, wearing brands that reflect your lifestyle that are up-to date and that fit well. Provide 3-5 outfits, ensuring your head shots and body shots are of similar quality.
- Be approachable. Radiate confidence and trust through your imagery and choice of colours and styles. Discover what colours mean, for example, pink is sincere and playful, whereas black can be seen as a barrier. Some research suggests it takes a ‘tenth of second’ for someone to start determining trustworthiness so make it count early on.
- Be easy on the eye…do not overwhelm with oversized, baggy or scruffy fashion. Choose tidy, simple, yet effective background environments that suit your lifestyle, staying as authentic as possible. Great grooming is key, your hair is your crowning glory and tops off your outfit, plus don’t forget to get manicure. Your whole look needs to be pulled together, from hair, right down to shoes.
- Keep it Simple. Remember small screens = snap judgements. Don’t polarise opinion too much or be too ‘marmite’. Stick to block colours, clean lines and interesting necklines and shoulder detail. Consider appealing ways of pairing colours such as tonal dressing (different shades of one colour) or wearing colours on the opposite side of the colour wheel (such as purple with green). Keep accessories to a minimum but wear two (max three) of your favourite pieces such as watch and ring.
- Emanate Confidence in your photos. A natural smile with a sparkle in your eyes is very attractive and prompts connection. Direct eye contact to camera secures a trustworthy appearance. Silent signals, such as resting your hands near your face or touching your hair shows a flirty, loving side, suggesting that you are open and receptive.
- Perfect your posture. Choosing 3-5 positive poses for your photos will go a long way to showcase you in your best light, such as sitting forward with one hand near your face/hair or standing tall, which demonstrates you are confident and focussed.
Profile photo No No’s: 10 mistakes to avoid:
- Baggy clothes, oversized fashion & scruffy, cheap looks.
- Stiff, creased, or ill-fitting clothes.
- Unapproachable or draining colours such as black and grey.
- Garish patterns.
- Slogan tops/t-shirts.
- Bad lighting.
- Crossed arms.
- Pursed lips.
What are your 2 key words to describe yourself? How do you want others to perceive you? Then choose corresponding colours for your outfit choice.
Pink: Loving and playful
Orange: Friendly and fun
Green: Compassionate and balanced
Yellow: Optimistic and joyful
Red: Dynamic and energetic
Blue: Calming and loyal
Purple: Authentic and successful
Black: Protective and mysterious
Grey: Neutral and conformist
White: Efficient and clear
Beige: Reliable and supportive
I’ve partnered with Vida Consultancy, Award winning international matchmaking agency, as their Style Expert.
Discover your own WOW colours and body shape tips to create impact and a positive first impression for online dating.
Mobile: 07946 615357